Trying to eat better when you are literally almost starving from taking a late lunch sometimes seems like such a stretch and nearly impossible.
Yesterday I got home a little later than usual and had not grabbed lunch so I was starving. Those are the days when bad choices always loom in my head, but I didn’t give in to the temptation that was tugging at my taste buds. Instead I opted to grab some pantry items and put together a dish that I literally turned my nose up to as a kid because it was too “fishy” but these ingredients, quality, made my taste buds super happy! I give you my “Diary-Free Tuna Helper for 1”! A great alternative to that high calorie, sometimes full of junk, dish that we all know so well.
- 1 cup Bowtie or Farfalle Pasta, cooked
- 1 can Natural Sea Yellowfin Tuna in water, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Shallot, diced (you can use red onion if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons Soy-Free Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon GoVeggie! Parmesan Style Crumbles
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- Kosher Salt & Cracked Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Badia Complete Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
Cook your bowtie or farfalle pasta and drain, I like to drizzle mine with a little bit of olive oil and a light kosher salt dash to flavor it up before I use it in my dishes.
In a large bowl, empty drained can of yellowfin tuna and separate with fork. Add in tomatoes, shallot and seasonings. Once pasta is cooled a bit, add it with the vegenaise and parmesan crumbles. Garnish with the fresh chopped basil and enjoy!
I loved this dish and really could see it being a regular lunch staple since I could make it ahead and pack it in my lunch bag. The yellowfin tuna is also much less “fishy” than regular canned tuna I have used in the past. I always like to grab the packed in water version so that it is the healthiest version of “canned” fish that I can throw in.