On my vegetarian/vegan eating journey, I have found that I need to incorporate grains and legumes into my diet more to have enough energy throughout my day and to push through my workouts. With much reluctance at times because I do not ever want to solely rely on grains for my nutritional journey. But in trying to get a filling pre-run fuel option besides my go-to organic peanut butter on vegan toasted bread option, I decided to venture out into the overnight steel cut oat realm and try my version overday (I set it to cook while at work instead of the normal overnight option) if it didn’t workout I could make a backup plan. So Tuesday morning I pulled out my slow cooker and put together this concoction of yumminess.
- 1 cups uncooked Organic Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk (I use Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond)
- 2 cups Fruit Butter of choice (I used a 16 oz jar of my Ginger Jams Sweet Potato Butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground Non-GMO Flaxseed
Combine all ingredients into your slow cooker and stir to incorporate. Cover and set to cook for 6 hours. Garnish oats with your favorite nut and seed mixture and/or your favorite fresh fruit and enjoy!