I am not one of those people who can eat the same thing week in and week out. I must have a little variety and sometimes, especially not getting an official lunch hour because of my shortened work day at my full-time job, that can be a struggle. So yesterday when I hit our co-op I opted to grab some hearty ingredients to throw onto a good bed of leafy romaine and dress it with a super simple “non” dressing. With this I could throw in a protein of choice if I feel the need or I could toss in a little Rotini pasta, the options are pretty much open to whatever my taste buds are hungry for that day. Here’s the simple base . . .
- 1 can Cannelloni Beans, drained & rinsed (you could also use drained/rinsed Black Beans or Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts in water, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup Black Olives, sliced
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes, quartered
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 5 fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. (Note – I added the lemon juice, zest and basil last so not to disrupt the delicate balance it brings). You can salt/pepper to taste. I split this into 3 containers and will use it for lunch over the next few days.