Admittedly, since cutting dairy from our diet I have missed a lot of the pasta dishes that I used to make for snacks and dinners. One of my favorite things to make used to be my Walnut Pesto to put on pizza instead of marinara or toss in pasta as a Mac-N-Cheese alternative. So with my stomach set on “creamy goodness” and my mind-set on “dairy-free” I broke into the pantry and refrigerator to create this yummy dish for a quick dinner for myself last week. Craving satisfaction, CHECK!
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Fusilli Pasta (or your favorite pasta cut), prepared
- 2 tbsp Walnut Pesto (see ingredients & instructions below)
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes, diced (I chopped grape tomatoes)
- Cracked Pepper, to taste
Pesto Ingredients –
- 1 bunch, Organic Sweet Basil (or basil of your choice)
- 1/4 cup toasted Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Go VEGGIE Grated Topping (dairy-free cheese alternative which is Vegan)
- 4 whole Garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Badia Complete Seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt/Cracked Pepper
To prepare Pesto –
Using a food processor (or blender if you need to), combine basil, garlic, walnuts and half of olive oil. Process until basil leaves are chopped. Add remaining ingredients and rest of olive oil and process to desired consistency. I add the lemon juice to give it a little extra zing and to help the basil keep its rich green color.
In a mixing bowl add pasta and pesto and stir until combined. Once combined add tomatoes and cracked pepper. I like to garnish with a little extra fresh chopped basil.
I really LOVE that you can make this dish in under 20 minutes, because I was starving when I chose to break into recipe development that night!